1. “Wishing makes dreams come true only in Disney movies; it’s poison in business.”
MillionDollarMan says: Wish first on your career, then execute strategies so that those wishes come true.
2. “Every tomorrow has been uncertain.”
MillionDollarMan says: We could be dead tomorrow, make it happen today. Call that contact for a meeting!
3. “Never risk what you have and need, for what you don’t have and don’t need.”
MillionDollarMan says: Remember the efforts that brought you success, don’t lose focus.
4. “More people fail because of liquor and leverage – leverage being borrowed money.”
MillionDollarMan says: Cash is king. Respect the painful financial lessons learned from 2008-2009.
5. “You do smart things, you eventually get very rich.”
MillionDollarMan says: Smart things entail both work and those you associate with.
6. “Turnarounds seldom turns around.”
MillionDollarMan says: Might want to consider a new employer, your company is struggling and you could be canned.
7. “Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.”
MillionDollarMan says: Mentally cut bait with that co-worker who keeps burning you, they ain’t changing anytime soon.
8. “There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make things difficult.”
MillionDollarMan says: A simple strategy for winning is sometimes best because competitors are probably being too complicated. It’s good to actually see the finish line.
9. “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.”
MillionDollarMan says: YOUR REP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN BUSINESS.
10. “It’s better to hang out with people better than you.”
MillionDollarMan says: Encourage those around you, don’t beat them down because you feel threatened. Raise your game, encourage your co-workers to drive greatness.
11. “Someone’s sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.”
MillionDollarMan says: Just because an idea has not panned out yet doesn’t mean it’s dead in the water. Plant those seeds.
12. “Let blockheads read what blockheads wrote.”
MillionDollarMan says: Put distance between you and those projecting negativity.
13. “Don’t pass up something that’s attractive today because you think you will find something way more attractive tomorrow.”
MillionDollarMan says: It’s best to carefully plot your next career and business-related steps. The grass could be brown on the other side.
14. “You do things when the opportunities come along. I’ve had periods in my life when I’ve had a bundle of ideas come along, and I’ve had long dry spells. If I get an idea next week, I’ll do something. If not, I won’t do a damn thing.”
MillionDollarMan says: Be prepared to pounce on worthwhile opportunities by not getting sidetracked in trying to find a new, hot idea.
15. “Your premium brand had better be delivering something special, or it’s not going to get the business.”
MillionDollarMan says: Don’t ever pull the wool over the eyes of customers, they are not dumb, and will talk smack about their experience with you to their customers.
16. “I don’t worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.”
MillionDollarMan says: Have a short memory. Dwell on the past and risk never making progress.
17. “I’ve never swung at a ball while it’s still in the pitcher’s glove.”
MillionDollarMan says: Analyze the details before jumping into a deal or a new job. Little things are very important.
18. “No matter how great the talent or efforts, some things just take time. You can’t product a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.”
MillionDollarMan says: Not hearing back from a contact on a deal via email? Breathe, your awesomeness likely has already closed the deal.
19. “You can’t make a good deal with a bad person.”
MillionDollarMan says: Along with that sexy contract you are reviewing, analyze the people that sent the contract along. You will be working with them in the future.
20. “You do not adequately protect yourself by being half awake when others are sleeping.”
MillionDollarMan says: Attack when nobody expects it. The element of surprise is a highly useful tactic.
21. “The past is only useful to give you insights into the future, but sometimes there’s no insight.”
MillionDollarMan says: The past is only a small sampling of a person’s life, the power exists to change the future. Messed up a deal five years ago? Learn from it, do better in the future.
22. “Losing some money is an inevitable part of investing and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.”
MillionDollarMan says: Scared money don’t make no money. Remember that saying when sitting down with a financial advisor.
23. “The stock market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves.”
MillionDollarMan says: It’s up to YOU to steer your hard-earned money towards profits.
24. “The most common cause of low prices is pessimism.”
MillionDollarMan says: If you feel like a low-priced stock (down) you may be thinking too pessimistically. Weed out the negative thoughts.
25. “Problems in a company are like cockroaches in the kitchen. You will never find just one.”
MillionDollarMan says: Look around your office, see problems (for example a complete shutting down of the free cafeteria that has been opened for 10 years)? If you do, might want to investigate…a key customer could be on the verge of being lost…and your job.
26. “Avoiding the dumb things is the most important. Learn more, know limitations, avoid the dumb things.”
MillionDollarMan says: Take inventory in your daily tasks, are there things that don’t make any sense? Might want to stop doing them and refocus.
27. “I read a lot: daily publications, annual reports, 10Ks, 10Qs, business magazines, etc.”
MillionDollarMan says: Don’t get your daily news from Facebook, download free news apps such as Bloomberg and USAToday and read at least five stories from each daily.
28. “You should focus on what’s important and knowable.”
MillionDollarMan says: Stop with the email checking! Usually unimportant.
29. “Emotional makeup is more important than technical skill.”
MillionDollarMan says: Act and think like a winner, and you will win. Act like a jerk and despite vast knowledge, you will probably be left behind by advancing competitors that are winning.
30. “The best thing is to learn from other guys’ mistakes.”
MillionDollarMan says: Designing a website for a small business? First develop an overview of what everyone else is doing very wrong. Pick out their weak points and then destroy them.
31. “We will reject interesting opportunities rather than over-leverage our balance sheet.”
MillionDollarMan says: That extra pair of Under Armour pants would be cool to have, but make sure you use the cash instead of the plastic.
32. “You know, if I’m playing bridge and a naked woman walks by, I don’t even see her. Don’t test me on that!”
MillionDollarMan says: Sometimes tunnel vision in achieving personal and career goals is absolutely necessary.
source: www. Men’s Health.com